As part of AAdvantage's frequent flying program, you can use reward mileage to fly anywhere in the world. One of the easiest ways to get the AAdvantage mileage is to use the American Airlines Credit Card. Mileages are available for each purchase, and some are additional incentives for certain categories of consumption, including American Airlines purchases. These cards also provide additional allowances, especially free bags.
Citi / AAdvantage Gold World Elite™ Mastercard
• Lower annual fee than other American Airlines cards
• Discount on in-flight food and beverages
• 0% APR period on balance transfers
• Has annual fee
• No free checked bag or preferred boarding
• No bonus rewards rate for American Airlines purchases
• Has foreign transaction fee
Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard®
• Free checked bag
• Preferred boarding
• 10% back on redeemed miles
• Has annual fee
• Best for frequent American Airlines flyers only
Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard®
• Signup benefits
• Free checked baggage
• Early boarding group
• No Foreign Transaction Fees
• Has annual fee
• Needs excellent credit
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard®
• No foreign transaction fee
• Has annual fee
AAdvantage® AviatorTM Red World Elite MasterCard®
• First checked a bag free for the primary cardmember and up to 4 companions on eligible bags when traveling on domestic itineraries operated by American Airlines
• Earn 2X miles for every one dollar you spend on eligible American Airlines purchases
• Group 1 boarding for the primary cardmember on domestic itineraries operated by American Airlines
• Earn 1X miles on all other purchases
• 10% of your redeemed miles back (10,000 maximum per the calendar year)
• No foreign transaction fees
• 25% in-flight savings on food, beverages, and headsets on American Airlines-operated flights
• $95 annual fee
Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
• Earn 25,000 Starpoints® after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
• Earn 2 Starpoints® for each dollar of eligible purchases spent at participating SPG® & Marriott Rewards® hotels. Earn 1 Starpoint for all other purchases.
• No Foreign Transaction Fees on International purchases.
• Redeem Starpoints® at over 1,300 participating hotels and resorts in over 100 countries and for flights on more than 150 airlines with SPG flights, all with no blackout dates.
• $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
• Planning a road trip? Rent your car, fill up your tank, book your hotel, and pay for it with your American Express® Card.
Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express
• Earn 2 Starpoints® for each dollar of eligible purchases at participating SPG® Marriott Rewards® hotels. Earn 1 Starpoint® for all other purchases.
• Redeem Starpoints® for free nights at over 1,300 hotels & resorts in over 100 countries and for free flights on over 150 airlines with SPG Flights. Some hotels and resorts have mandatory service charges.
• Free, unlimited Boingo Wi-Fi at more than 1,000,000 Boingo hotspots worldwide. Enrollment required.
• No Foreign Transaction Fees on international purchases and $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
Citi® Gold / AAdvantage® World MasterCard®
• 25,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after $750 spent on purchases within the first 3 months, that's enough for a round-trip domestic MileSAAver® award (taxes and fees of up to $10 apply)
• 1 AAdvantage® mile for every $1 spent on purchases
• Travel with ease and enjoy global acceptance with your Citi chip credit card
• 25% savings on eligible in-flight purchases when you use your card
Whether to get American Express Credit Card or not? To decide which American Airlines credit card is right for you, here are some questions to ask yourself:
Are you bothered by the lengthy baggage check-in? If you check in your luggage at least four times a year (two separate trips or one trip with others), you will want Citigroup AAdvantage Platinum Selection, which provides you and the other four booked companions with the first check-in luggage free of charge. This will be a very direct offer.
Do you use AA lounge when waiting? The chief executive of Citigroup AAdvantage is the only AA consumer credit card that provides luxury travel allowances, such as lounges. The annual fee is $450, but if you use the lounge regularly, it's worth it. It's also the only card that gives you the chance to earn AA Elite miles, which you can use to score cabin upgrades.
Do you like to be more flexible? If you don't want to be limited to AA (and its partners), the only card that can transfer you to another airline is AMEX SPG. You can also choose the night trading point of the hotel. Other popular North American partner Airlines include Delta Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Canadian Airlines, and Alaska Airlines.
How many flights do you fly a year? Most travel reward cards come with an annual fee, so you have to be a semi-frequent traveler to make them valuable.
So, do you need to process the American Airlines credit card? It depends on the direction of your consumption.