If you are as crazy about sports as we are, you probably have a team loyalty credit card or are thinking of getting one. Using a sports credit card is not only a great way to show support for your team, it can also be your ticket to discounts on team merchandise and even game tickets.Whether it’s your favorite league or your favorite team, you can use a sports credit card to proudly display what you’re passionate about. Some sports cards come with great perks like cash back rewards, 0% intro APRs or even special promotions on sports tickets, merchandise and more.
- Additional 2.5% discount on all merchandise†
- 1 Point/$1 outside The Guide on gas, groceries, hotels, travel and more**
- $10 Rewards Certificate for Guide merchandise with every 1,000 points earned
- $40 Rewards Certificate when you spend $500 outside Sportsman's Guide in the first 90 days*
Earn a $10 Reward every time you earn 300 points.Get access to special discounts, coupons and giveaways.Save your information, so you can quickly make your purchase.You’ll be the first to know about exclusive gear.
- $150 cash rewards bonus after you spend at least $500 on purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- All 30 team cards are available, customized with your favorite team's colors and logo
- Earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase, every day
- Use your QuicksilverOne card and get 50% back as a statement credit on your monthly Spotify Premium subscription, now through April 2018
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 40,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $400 in travel
- Earn unlimited 2X miles per dollar on every purchase, every day
- Earn unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all purchases, with no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees and your points don't expire
- 20,000 online bonus points if you make at least $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days — that can be a $200 statement credit toward travel purchases
- Earn 40,000 points after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open
- 6,000 bonus points after your Cardmember anniversary
When searching for a credit card, it’s important to look at the features and terms and conditions. As always, pay attention to things like annual fees and interest rates. Seek out great rewards, too — things like cash back, rewards points you can easily redeem toward other purchases and security features that can protect you in case your credit card is lost or stolen.
There’s little harm in using a credit card just because it has your favorite team’s logo on it, but most of the time there’s very little benefit other than some minor discounts. By choosing the most competitive product, rather than the one with your favorite team’s logo, sports fans can get the most value from their credit cards.
From Major League Baseball to the NFL, NHL, PGA and NASCAR — there’s a credit card offer for every type of sports fan. But just like all credit card offers, it’s important to look past the logo and focus on the card’s terms and conditions.
Whether it’s a unique fan experience or discounted tickets and team merchandise — sports affiliated credit cards can be enticing offers. However, when you’re considering getting a new credit card you should try to make your decision on the financial benefits and try to avoid being swayed by team loyalty. Instead, focus on finding a credit card rewards program that helps you build reward points you will actually use.
1. Save Money
Sports credit cards’ rewards might help you save money, especially if a sizable chunk of your budget goes toward team gear and paraphernalia. Some cards might offer you extra cash back on purchases made at grocery stores or gas stations, others offer extra bonus points or discounts when shopping for team gear. Some cards may even offer both.
2. Rack up Rewards
Some sports cards offer special introductory offers that could allow you to earn extra rewards, such as $100 in cash rewards or 10,000 bonus points when you spend $500 within the first 90 days.
3. Show Love for Your Team
Whether you’re a fan of baseball, basketball or hockey, there’s a card to help you show your love for the sport. Some cards allow you to customize your card with your favorite team’s colors and logo.
4. Keep Your Card and Credit Secure
With the growing rates of credit card fraud, security features are worth looking at before signing onto any card. Features like zero-liability guarantees in case of fraud and the ability to lock your card when it goes missing can make all the difference—and eliminate a lot of hassle—if your card is lost or stolen.
Cardholders who carry debt should avoid all rewards cards, including these, and seek products with the lowest interest rate. Furthermore, those who pay their entire balance in full each month should seek to maximize the value of their rewards. Therefore, cardholders need to ask themselves if the rewards they receive from these sports-affiliated cards offer the most value available.
For example, the NFL Extra Points card offers two tickets to any game for 25,000 points, earned from spending $25,000. That same amount spent on Capital One's new Quicksilver card, which offers 1.5 percent cash back on all purchases, would earn cardholders $375. If those two tickets are worth more than $375, then it will be worthwhile for fans to hold that card. Football fans know that the going rate for tickets will all depend on a number of factors like how well their team is doing, how big their city is, and when the game is occurring.